Christian Brothers University is a four-year, private university affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. The University was founded in 1871 by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, a Catholic teaching order.
CBU is located on a 75-acre wooded campus in midtown Memphis, Tennessee—about four miles east of downtown; near Interstates 40, 240, and 55; and close to major medical centers. The campus is at 650 East Parkway South, at the corner of Central Avenue.
Christian Brothers University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the bachelor's degree and master's degree. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Christian Brothers University.
The chemical, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering degree programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, (410) 347-7700.
CBU is approved by the State Department of Education of Tennessee as a Teacher Training Institution. CBU is a member of the National Catholic Educational Association and the Tennessee Association of Colleges. CBU is also accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
1,584 students (45% male, 55% female); 23 states, 26 countries; 42% minority; 3% international
While CBU is a Catholic university, 41 different faiths are represented in the student body (21% are Catholic). Religious observances are not required, but students are encouraged to practice their faith openly and actively.
100 full-time faculty. 13:1 student/faculty ratio. Average class size is 15.
Moderately residential. 67% of freshmen live on campus.
NCAA Division II, Gulf South Conference. 13 varsity sports (6 men's: basketball, baseball, soccer, cross-country, tennis, golf; 7 women's: basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, cross-country, softball, volleyball), club sports, and intramurals. Athletic team name and mascot: Buccaneers, Lady Buccaneers
Red and Gray (the official print color for CBU red is PANTONE 186 and gray is PANTONE 408).
Undergraduate Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology, Child Development (Education PreK-3), Cultural Studies (Licensure 4-8), Creative Writing, English, English for Corporate Communications, History, Liberal Studies (Licensure K-6), Mathematics, Psychology, Religion & Philosophy
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with concentrations in Finance, Human Resources Management, International Business, Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Sports Management
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Management
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Science, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering Physics, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Graduate Degree Programs
- Business: Master of Business Administration. Master of International Business, Master of Accountancy
- Catholic Studies: Master of Arts in Catholic Studies
- Education: Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Education, Master of Science in Educational Leadership
- Engineering: Master of Engineering Management, Master of Science in Engineering Management
- Sciences: Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies
- Traditional Day Undergraduate Tuition: $27,620 per year, full-time
- Professional Studies (Adult Learners) Tuition: $500 per credit hour
- RN to BSN Program (Nursing) Tuition: $405 per credit hour
95% of full-time undergraduate students receive some financial aid. Average award: $21,283.
Graduate Program Tuition
- Master of Business Administration, $685 per semester hour
- Master of Engineering Management, $685 per semester hour
- Master of Education, $550 per semester hour
- Master of Arts in Teaching, $550 per semester hour
- Master of Science in Educational Leadership, $550 per semester hour
- Master of Science in Engineering Management, $685 per semester hour
- Master of Arts in Catholic Studies, $405 per semester hour
- Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies, $10,870 per semester
- Ranked among the 25 best Southern universities in U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges."
- Ranked among the top 20% of the nation’s colleges by Forbes magazine
- Ranked #1 among Tennessee colleges in PayScale.com's "College Education ROI Rankings"
- Ranked in the top 10% of American colleges in PayScale.com's "College Education ROI Rankings"
- Ranked among "Catholic Colleges with High Starting Salaries for Graduates" by Affordable Colleges Online
- Listed in Peterson's Competitive Colleges
- Ranked among the best Southeastern colleges by the Princeton Review
- Listed in Michael Viollt's Great Colleges for the Real World
- More on CBU's National Rankings...
back to top