History of the Board
Until the 1966 academic year, the Board of Trustees consisted of representatives from the Brother's Community, the Bishop of Nashville, with the St. Louis Provincial serving as the Chairman. The 1970-71 academic year was a period of transition for the Board of Trustees. For the first time, laymen were appointed to the Board of Trustees while others continued to serve on the Board of Regents. In different years, the board names varied from the "Board of Directors" (1947-1949) to the "Board of Trustees" (1949-1967) and back to the "Board of Directors" (1967-1970) to the current title of "Board of Trustees" (1970-present).
In the years from 1947-1971, the Board of Directors/Board of Trustees were supplemented with boards of various titles -- the Advisory Board or the Board of Regents. The present system, with only a Board of Trustees, began in 1972.