- M.A.T: for people who already hold a bachelor's degree and wish to obtain initial teaching licensure. The degree is also available to candidates interested in pursing transitional licensure.
- Licensure-Only Program: for people who already hold a bachelor's degree but who do not wish to obtain a graduate degree. The pogram is also available to candidates interested in pursing transitional licensure.
CBU's Initial Teaching Licensure Programs (Master of Arts in Teaching & Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program Licensure-Only) are designed to provide initial teaching licensure at one of the following levels:
- Art K-12 (Visual Arts)
- Biology 7-12
- Chemistry 7-12
- Early Childhood Education PreK-3
- Elementary Education K-6
- English 7-12
- French PreK-12
- German PreK-12
- History 7-12
- Mathematics 7-12
- Middle Grades Education 4-8
- Physics 7-12
- Reading Specialist PreK-12 (only available in conjunction with another area)
- Spanish PreK-12
- Special Education Modified K-12.
The M.A.T. program admits only those individuals who wish to earn an initial teaching license and a graduate degree simultaneously. Candidates for initial teaching licensure face additional requirements because of licensure. Tennessee requires that all individuals seeking initial teaching licensure must provide evidence of a strong general education and mastery of a major in the arts or sciences earned at the undergraduate level. State and national standards for initial teaching licensure may mandate that an individual complete undergraduate deficiencies in either general education or a major area in the arts or sciences, in addition to required graduate credit hours. ADD: We must also have 2 official copies of transcripts from each college/university you have previously attended with one being for our university records and the other for the Tennessee Dept. Of Education for licensing purposes.
Licensure requirements include:
- Successful completion of undergraduate or other content deficiencies
- Field experiences
- Internal and external assessments, including the Praxis II tests.
Completion of coursework for the degree must be complemented by successful completion of all licensure requirements before CBU recommends for the license.
Before you apply
Familiarize yourself with the following documents:
- List of Tennessee Teaching Licenses - This is a list of all of the teaching licenses available in the State of Tennessee. Please note that CBU does not offer programs for every licensure area - areas in bold type are offered at CBU.
- Choosing a Licensure Track - Use this as a guide to choosing your licensure area. Please note that you must be qualified, based on your academic background or Praxis II Content Knowledge score, for your licensure area before admission.
- Admissions Testing Information - Includes testing locations and minimum score requirements.
- Background Check and Fingerprinting Instructions
- Program Format - Class meeting times, duration of classes
- Two Routes to Licensure
- Tuition, Fees, and Financial Assistance
- The Lasallian Tradition
- Navigating the Application and Admission Process - Who to Contact
- Application Checklist - Includes deadlines, required application materials, and where to send application materials.
- MAT Application Form - This is the application form for the Master of Arts in Teaching Program. We recommend that all applicants complete this application and if it is determined through the application review and interview process that your situation would better fit the Post-Baccalaureate TEP, Licensure-Only, we will provide that application to you at that time.
- Recommendation Form
For more information, contact the Director of the M.A.T. Program, Dr. Samantha Alperin, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-321-3116.