TFA and MTF Partnership (Master of Education)
Christian Brothers University has partnered with Teach for America and Memphis Teaching Fellows to offer a tailored M.Ed. degree, which includes 9 hours of experiential learning credit. CBU grants credit to teachers from our partnered groups in recognition of the rigorous preparation TFA and MTF partipants undergo as part of their initial teaching licensure program. Credit will be posted for the following courses:
|CIED 606 Classroom Leadership
|CIED 605 Urban Teaching Strategies
|EDFD 608 Fundamentals of Urban Education
|Total credit hours earned through this partnership:
CBU assesses a fee of $150 per credit hour for experiential learning credit, for a total of $1350.00. Tuition for a comparable number of credit hours is substantially greater, so TFA/MTF students receive and amazing discount for these courses through our partnership!
Students in the Master of Education for Teach for America and Memphis Teaching Fellows Program enter the CBU Program in the Summer or Fall following their first year of teaching service. If your situation does not match this, please contact the Coordinator of the M.Ed., Dr. Ellen Faith, for advising.
- Complete application form. Please DO NOT send application materials such as transcripts without first having an application on file. If your application form does not include an area for signature from a TFA/MTF official and the Experiential Learning Credit Fee, please review additional required item.
- You will be exempted from admissions testing if your cumulative grade point average for your undergraduate degree was at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) AND you have passed all Praxis II tests for your licensure area.
- If you are not exempted from admissions testing, you will need to present passing scores on either the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). a. The minimum score on the MAT is 40; the passing score on the GRE is 900, based on combining the scores for the qualitative and quantitative portions of the test, with a minimum score of 4.5 for the analytic writing portion.
- Statement of personal objectives and expectations, discussing where you are in your overall professional development and what you are hoping to gain through this program.
- Essay on your philosophy of teaching and education. You may address any of the following topics: the purpose of schooling in society; the role of leadership in the life of a school; the educational needs of today's students; what kind of curriculum is important in the 21st century; what constitutes effective school leadership; the role of the school leader in today's society; or the qualities that characterize excellence in leadership.
- Copy of Teaching License.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Student copies will not be accepted. The transcript must be sent directly from the university to CBU Graduate and Professional Studies. 8. Official score report of all Praxis II tests completed up to this point.
Send all items to:
Graduate & Professional Studies
Christian Brothers University
650 East Parkway South – Box T-5
Memphis, TN 38104
- For January Entry: November 1st
- For June Entry: April 15th
- For August Entry: July 15
Experiential Learning Assessment
During the first semester of enrollment, TFA/MTF students complete the Experiential Learning Assessment Form to have the 9 hours of experiential learning credit posted to their academic record. Please review the Instructions and then see the Department of Education for the form and neccessary attachments.
NOTE: This webpage is meant as a resource for those who are current participants in either Teach for America or Memphis Teaching Fellows. To apply to Teach for America or Memphis Teaching Fellows, please apply with the organization directly.
back to top