Apply for Assistance
The following step-by-step guide takes through each stage of the process of applying for financial assistance:
Don't feel overwhelmed! Just read through these materials carefully and do not hesitate to contact us if you need assistance.
STEP 1: COMPLETE THE FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA)
- Fill out a free online FAFSA application
- You should request a PIN number before filling out your FAFSA.
- If you are a dependent student, one of your parents must also request a PIN number so they can electronically sign the FAFSA.
Online Prefilled Renewal FAFSA
- If you completed the FAFSA last year, you may use your PIN number given to you by the U.S. Department of Education to fill out a renewal FAFSA that contains most of your information and only needs updating.
- If you are a dependent student, your parent must use their PIN to sign the Renewal FAFSA, also.
- If you do not remember your PIN, go towww.pin.ed.gov and request a duplicate PIN.
Adding CBU to an Earlier FAFSA
- If you have already filled out a FAFSA form and would like to add CBU to it, you may do so online using your PIN number. CBU’s code is 003482.
- You may check the processing status of your FAFSA online.
- This does not require a PIN number.
FAFSA Questions & Help
You can get information from the FAFSA Help Center for free by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).
Information specialists at this number can:
- help you complete the FAFSA (either electronic or paper).
- answer your questions about a PIN.
- help you make corrections to your Student Aid Report (SAR)
- explain federal student aid eligibility requirements and other aspects of student aid.
- explain the process of determining financial need and awarding aid.
- have your application information sent to a specific school.
- send federal student aid publications to you.
back to top
STEP 2: READ YOUR STUDENT AID REPORT (SAR)
- In approximately three weeks, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education.
- If you provided a valid and legible e-mail address and proper signatures, you will be sent an e-mail that includes personal and secure URLs linking you to you SAR information on the web.
- If you did not provide an e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will receive a paper SAR in the mail.
- Keep a copy of the SAR for your records. The SAR summarizes the data you reported on the FAFSA.
- It is important to review your SAR for accuracy. Corrections can be made online by using your PIN or by correcting your paper SAR, signing, and mailing to the address listed on the SAR. Dependents will need a parent signature, also.
back to top
STEP 3: YOUR AWARD NOTIFICATION LETTER
- Once you are accepted into Christian Brothers University, the Office of Student Financial Assistance will determine your award and send you an award notification letter.
- All professional undergraduate and graduate students must be registered for classes before an award notification letter will be sent.
- You should review your awards carefully. Your awards are based on the information reported on your FAFSA and full time enrollment in a degree seeking or certification program.
- You may decline all or portions of your awards by striking through those you do not wish to receive.
- Return a signed copy of the award notification letter to the Office of Student Financial Assistance ONLY IF MAKING CHANGES.
- Awards are based on FULL-TIME ENROLLMENT (see below)
- Institutional awards are NOT available if you enroll in less than full time.
- Undergraduate William D. Ford Direct Loans are not available if you enroll in less than 6 hours per semester.
- Graduate William D. Ford Direct Loans are not available if you enroll in less than 5 hours per semester.
- Pell grants and/or the Tennessee Student Assistance Award are prorated based on the hours you are enrolled in if less than full time.
back to top
STEP 4: DOCUMENTS
Locate the award amounts on your Award Notification Letter.
If any further supporting documentation is needed, it will be listed below each award amount.
It is imperative that you accurately complete ALL the financial aid documents and return them in a timely manner. Failure to do so may jeopardize your awards.
Complete and Return Financial Assistance Documents
For your convenience, the following documents can be faxed to our office at 901-321-3227:
- Signed Award letter ( only if making changes)
- Verification Worksheets
- Student Federal Income Tax Return (signed)
- Parent Federal Income Tax Return (signed)
- Spouse Federal Income Tax Return (signed)
- I-9 –Employment Eligibility Form
- Student Responsibility Employment Agreement
- W-4 – Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Work-study questionnaire
- If you are selected for verification, you must complete the verification worksheet requested. Do not leave any blanks!
- Dependent students, along with their parents, should complete the Dependent Verification Worksheet and attach the student’s and the parents’ signed Federal Income tax returns.
- Independent students, along with their spouses, should complete the Independent Verification Worksheet and attach the student’s and the spouse’s signed Federal Income tax returns.
Disclaimer: Information contained on this site is subject to change without prior notification.
back to top