TUTORIALS FROM PLOUGH LIBRARY
How to Research a Topic
A quick guide to topic selection and development, finding information in the library, and the difference between scholarly and popular articles. Includes hints on evaluating information, strategies for avoiding plagiarism in your papers, and more. (from Plough Library)
Research Road Trip
An interactive guide in Moodle that will help you find, evaluate, and use appropriate information in the library and beyond. (from Plough Library)
MBA Library Orientation (PPT)
An overview of the Library's website, with instructions for finding business material.
CAMIO (Catalog of Art Museum Images)
- Using CAMIO (PPT, from Plough Library)
- Take a Tour (Flash)
These tutorials are Flash videos. Get the Flash Player
- Advanced Search with Guided Style (8 min.)
- How to Create Search Alerts (4 min.)
- Visual Search (5 min.)
- Find more EBSCOhost tutorials at http://support.ebsco.com/training/tutorials.php
- EBSCOHost YouTube Channel
ENTREZ (Searches multiple NCBI databases)
Gale - Academic Onefile, General OneFile and other InfoTrac databases
- LexisNexis Academic Wiki: Contains guides for doing subject-specific research in LNA
- LexisNexis Academic YouTube Channel
- LexisNexis Academic - Sources (PPT, from Plough Library)
Literature Resource Center
National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)
- NCBI YouTube Channel: View video tutorials for genetics databases from NCBI.
Oxford English Dictonary (OED)
- Guided Tour: Seven individual segments on different aspects of the newly revised OED
- PubMed: Basic Search, Limits, and Journal Articles (PPT, from Plough Library)
- PubMed: Searching and Search Features (PPT, from Plough Library)
- PubMed Tutorial
- Set of CBU-Specific Instructions (PPT files, from Plough Library)
- RefWorks LibGuide
- RefWorks YouTube channel
VAST Academic Video Online
TUTORIALS FROM OTHER SCHOOLS
- Research Strategies
Step-by-step guide to choosing and developing a research topic from Northeastern State University
- What Makes a Journal Scholarly?
Guide to refereed articles from Rutgers University Libraries
- The Dewey Decimal Classification: A Multimedia Tour
Learn how to find library materials using the Dewey Decimal System with this quick tour from OCLC
- Citing Your Sources
Quickly learn the basics of citing sources in APA and MLA styles with this Flash tutorial from Eastern Washington State University.
- Bare Bones 101: A Basic Tutorial on Searching the Web
Learn the ins and outs of effective internet searching with this guide from the University of South Carolina.
- Primary vs. Secondary Sources
This quick guide from Bowling Green State University explains the difference between primary and secondary sources.