Director of Athletics
Date: January 17, 2014
Reports to: University President
The Director of Athletics will plan, administer, and direct all athletic programs for men and women at CBU. Additionally the Director of Athletics will be responsible for fostering sportsmanship and ethical conduct; enhance the visibility and reputation of the University; engage faculty, staff, alumni, and strategic partners to grow athletic support; promote school spirit, and adhere to policies of the NCAA, the Gulf South Conference, and Christian Brothers University
Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Lead the CBU Athletics program with a progressive philosophy and vision that is in line with the University’s developing Athletic Strategic Plan. Develops short-term goals and long term strategic plan and vision for the department.
- Plan and successfully achieve strategies for enhanced fundraising, generating additional revenues and resources in a manner that results in a high level of public and private support for CBU Athletics. Oversees departmental fund-raising, public relations and community outreach activities.
- Provides administrative direction and oversight for all intercollegiate, intramural and recreational athletics staff, programs, facilities and activities.
- Ensure that all student-athletes are experiencing success academically and are integrated into campus life and general college activities.
- Insist that athletic department personnel comply with institutional policies as appropriate and maintain collegial relationships with the entire campus community.
- Consistently represent CBU Athletics in a highly professional manner as a community ambassador to a wide range of internal and external constituencies; motivate coaches and other administrators to do the same.
- Maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish CBU Athletic goals and objectives; oversee recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of staff.
- Actively collaborate with Enrollment Management to successfully recruit high potential student-athletes.
- Responsibly administer annual budgets for CBU Athletics and perform periodic cost and productivity analyses; monitor and evaluate programmatic and operational effectiveness and effect changes required for improvement.
- Ensure compliance with all NCAA rules and regulations, consistent with the high ethical standards of the University.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the President of the University
- Graduation from an accredited institution with Master’s Degree in a related field and 6 years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities
- OR Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and 8 years of experience related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Direct experience with college athletics is essential with a preference for experience at a Division I, II or III institution.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- The ideal candidate will have a successful record in athletic administration and will have previously held leadership positions.
- Proven track record and ability to manage a complex budget, lead coaches and administrators, market the various sport programs, understand NCAA compliance, and raise funds.
- It is also preferred that the candidate will have some experience with branding, sponsorship, and working with the media.
- Full time, varying work hours
- Evening and weekends required
- Travel required (including overnight travel)
Christian Brothers University's Core Values and History
Faith: Our belief in God permeates every facet of the University's life.
Service: We reach out to serve one another and those beyond our campus.
Community: We work to build better communities and a better society.
Christian Brothers University is a Lasallian Catholic educational institution founded November, 1871, by members of the Institute of the Brothers of Christian Schools, a Roman Catholic religious teaching congregation. The Brothers came to Memphis at the request of the people and clergy of the city, a move which culminated more than a decade of efforts to persuade the Brothers to open a college in Memphis.
While large enough to provide educational opportunities in the arts, business, education, engineering and sciences, the University is small enough to promote teaching as ministry and to provide challenging student-centered learning and personal growth. Students of diverse cultures and religious traditions are encouraged to grow in their own faith. The University welcomes students into an educational community of faith and service, one that is committed to academic excellence, the betterment of society and the care of God’s creation.
Qualified individuals should send cover letter and resume salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online now. Christian Brothers University offers equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment, regardless of sex, age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin or disability. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.