Math Placement Test for Professional Students
Each of the mathematics courses of Finite Math (Math 105) and Precalculus (Math 117) has an algebra prerequisite. To satisfy this prerequisite your options are to:
- take Basic Algebra (Algebra 110 or 115)
- have transfer credit for Basic Algebra
- pass an on-line departmental placement exam in algebra or
- have a sufficiently high score on the Math ACT test.
Test in Moodle
- The on-line test requires registration for a course called Algebra Placement. The course uses Moodle software. Some details follow.
- The course contains tests for placement in Algebraic Equations (Algebra 120) and Finite Math (Math 105).
- The course contains a practice test that you can take as often as you like.
- You can take the practice test wherever you have access to the web.
- You can not use a calculator on the test.
- The actual test is similar to the practice test.
- The test consists of 25 problems.
- You must complete the test in 60 minutes.
- The software grades your test once you complete it.
- A passing score on each test is 18.
- You can take the actual test at most 4 times.
- You must take the actual test in the Math Center located in Cooper Wilson 321.
- You must contact a faculty member of the Math Department who will enter the password needed to take the actual test.
- Once you pass the actual test, your advisor can register you for the appropriate math course.
Algebra 120 is an entry level course in college algebra. It requires a knowledge of topics in arithmetic and high school algebra. Particular topics are arithmetic operations on integers,
arithmetic operations on fractions,
operations with algebraic expressions, arithmetic operations on polynomials,
Math 105 Finite Math
The placement test for finite math determines whether you are ready for a college math course that satisfies a general education requirement. The topics for the test for finite math come from high school courses in algebra. Particular topics are solving linear equations, solving linear inequalities, graphing linear equations, graphing linear inequalities, solving linear systems word problems, equations with fractions, roots and radicals, quadratic equation
To register for a course called Algebra Placement on CBU's Moodle server requires the use of your CBU email name assigned by Information Technology Services. Please follow these instructions.
Access direct registration for a placement course on the server at
- Enter your Username and Password. Press the Login button.
A typical username begins with the first letter of your first name followed by your last name or the first seven letters of your last name. Each of these letters is lower case. You control your password.
- In Moodle select the Advising link in Course Categories.
- From the list of Courses, select Algebra Placement.
- When Moodle asks if you wish to enroll in the course, select the Yes button.
- Moodle should then add Algebra Placement to your list of courses.
back to top