Guaranteed Interview Agreement (GIA) with the Union University School of Pharmacy
CBU now has a Guaranteed Interview Agreement (GIA) with the Union University School of Pharmacy (UUSOP) that allows the possibility for CBU students to be accepted into the Union University School of Pharmacy after their third year at CBU, and to earn a B.S. in Natural Science from CBU as they earn their Pharmacy degree from Union University. This GIA allows highly qualified CBU students to sit for an Admissions Interview for UUSOP's next entering class up to a year earlier than the typical undergraduate student. This may result in acceptance to UUSOP following their junior year, reducing their total undergraduate and professional education by one full year. Students who have successfully completed their junior year at CBU, including all GERs and who subsequently obtain their pharmacy degree at UUSOP may be awarded the Bachelor of Science in Natural Science degree by CBU.
Terms and Conditions
- Students must complete the prerequisite coursework for admission to UUSOP as specified below.
- Students must achieve at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA and receive no grade below a "C" in any specified prerequisite course.
- Students must take the PCAT.
- Students meeting the foregoing conditions shall be exempted from initial screening and will be granted an admissions interview for the next entering class.
- The foregoing notwithstanding, this agreement provides no assurances of admission for any student applying under this agreement.
- UUSOP reserves the sole right to approve courses comprising the applicable GIA prerequisite coursework. The Christian Brothers University Pre-Pharmacy Advisor or other designated individual shall notify the UUSOP Office of Admissions of any desired substitutions or changes to any of the courses comprising the prerequisite coursework.
- UUSOP reserves the sole right to modify the grade point average and PCAT criteria; however, the criteria in effect at the time of a student's enrollment at CBU shall be applicable.
Eligiblily and Process
- GIA students are required to apply for admission via PharmCAS and the UUSOP supplemental application. UUSOP works on a rolling admissions cycle. The completed application (which includes all supporting materials) deadline for GIA applicants is February 1.
- Students are required to notify the pre-pharmacy advisor at Christian Brothers University of their intent to apply for admission to UUSOP through the GIA program. The pre-professional advisor shall determine the process for doing such and shall be responsible for informing students of said process.
- The pre-pharmacy advisor shall be responsible for informing the UUSOP Office of Admissions of applicants meeting the GIA criteria.
- Students certified by the pre-pharmacy advisor as meeting GIA criteria will be contacted by the UUSOP Office of Admissions to schedule the interview following receipt of the PharmCAS application and the UUSOP supplemental application.
Required Courses for UUSOP
|Required Courses||Semesters||CBU Course(s)|
|Biology||2||BIOL 111, 111L, 112, 112L|
|General Chemistry||2||CHEM 113, 113L, 114, 114L|
|Organic Chemistry||2||CHEM 211,211L, 212, 212L|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology||2||BIOL 217, 217L, 218, 218L|
|Physics I||1||PHYS 150, 150L or PHYS 201, 201L|
|Microbiology||1||BIOL 321, 321L|
|Statistics||1||MATH 201 or PSYC 354|
|Written Composition||2||ENG 111, 112|
|Humanities Electives||2||Any courses in ART, ENG, PHIL, HIST, FREN, GERM, RUSS, SPAN|
|Social Science Electives||2||Any courses in ANTH, ECON, POLS, PSYC, SOC|
|General Electives||1||Any course|
Courses that will increase the strength of the applicant's candidacy include Biochemistry (CHEM 315, 315L), Immunology (BIOL 415, 415L), Genetics (BIOL 311, 311L), and a second semester of physics (PHYS 202, 202L).
B.S. in Natural Science from CBU with completion of the pharmacy degree
The requirements for a degree in Natural Science from CBU are found in the Academic Catalog. The Social Science Electives in the above required courses can be chosen to help fulfill the CBU GER requirements. The Pharmacy courses at UUSOP can be used to satisfy some of the upper level science requirements and some of the free electives for the Natural Science degree. The student should work both with the CBU Pre-Health Advisor and with an academic advisor for the Natural Science major.